Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Advanced graduate students working on doctoral dissertations are preferred. However, serious consideration will be given to Master’s students, graduating seniors, and recent graduates who present significant study Bachelor’s-level or research projects and establish an academic affiliation with an institution for coursework or a research support.
9 Months, March to December 2021. Candidates are strongly encouraged to plan their grant projects for the academic year, since universities are closed during December, January and February and therefore, little academic work can be accomplished. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission in mid-March. Attendance at the orientation is required.
No Pre-Departure Orientation.
Accepted Degree Levels:
Foreign Language Proficiency:
- Recommended – Intermediate.
- Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between the time of application and the commencement of the grant with the Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required.
Fulbright Proposal Types:
- Independent Study/Research: Yes.
- Graduate Degree Enrollment: No.
The Universidad de la República (State University) is free and offers courses in any field of study. There are also four private universities, as well as private research institutes such as: CLAEH (Centro Latinoamericano de Economía Humana), INIA (Instituto Nacional de Investigacion Agropecuaria), and, LATU (Laboratorio Tecnológico del Uruguay). Applicants are encouraged to initiate contact with the host institution of their preference and to include their letter of invitation or support with the application. The Fulbright Commission in Uruguay will assist grantees in confirming a host institution affiliation or by recommending alternate affiliations. Candidates who seek to earn a degree from a Uruguayan university will not be considered.
- The State University is free. Candidates may audit classes for free.
- Candidates already in Uruguay at the time of application are not eligible.
- Dependent support is available.