The goal of this program is to foster the integration of the peoples of Uruguay and the United States and to promote the development of primary and secondary education in Uruguay, through an experience of education and management in education centers in the United States.
In February 2002, a group of 20 principals from full-time schools from all over the country traveled to the U.S. for three weeks. Each principal visited a school in an American city.
In July 2003, eight American teachers visited Uruguayan students all over the country.
Almost 300 inspectors, principals, teachers, and English teachers from primary and secondary schools from all around the country have had the opportunity to visit an institution in the United States ever since.
Uruguayan teachers travel for three weeks every February. During the program, they take part in lessons, parents’ meetings, teachers’ meetings, etc.
This program is aimed at:
PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHERS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Teachers of English with a 2-year minimum experience teaching in primary public schools.
- Spanish teachers who participate in the Ceibal en Inglés program, with a minimum of two years in the Program, who take part in the English course for teachers 2019 and work constantly on the B and C classes. (When filling in the form, they should select the “Docente Plan Ceibal en inglés” option).
- Teachers of English in rural areas.
SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- English, Math, or Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) teachers in public secondary schools and/or UTUs from the whole country, with at least two years of experience in secondary schools, who hold a teacher degree issued by a recognized secondary school teacher training institution.
- Teachers of Math or Science must have reached a B1 level of English (PET or equivalent).
- In all cases, teachers must work for at least 20 weekly hours in the public system (years 2018 and 2019).
PRINCIPALS OF PUBLIC MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOLS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Principals who have worked in that position for two years uninterruptedly.
- Principals must have reached a B1 level of English (PET or equivalent).
- Principals can be either principal or acting, but they cannot apply if they have been appointed as per Article N° 20.
- Deputy directors are not eligible.
CFE PROFESSORS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Professors of English teacher training courses in any ANEP teacher training center or ESL professors at an IFD or IINN.
- Professors must have a 2-year minimum experience in the position.
- Applicants must have reached a B1 level of English (PET or equivalent).
CEIP, CES, CETP, AND CFE EDUCATORS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Educators in any field who work on inclusive education and diversity projects being currently carried out.
- Applicants must be working as teachers for at least 20 weekly hours.
- Applicants must have reached a B1 level of English (PET or similar).
- Meet the abovementioned requirements for primary or secondary school teachers.
- Not have traveled as part of a Fulbright program before.
- Not have lived in the U.S. before.
- Be a Uruguayan citizen.
- Commitment to look for excellence in education.
- Wish to know other education systems.
- Interest in developing links with education institutes in the U.S.
- There is no age limit; however, teachers with less than 30 years of experience will be prioritized.
- Teachers of English in primary schools must be committed to work as teachers of English in public primary schools during the whole 2020.
- Ceibal en Inglés teachers must be committed to work on the Ceibal en Inglés program for two years upon their return.
- Secondary school teachers must be committed to host two workshops for secondary school teachers in 2020.
- All participants must submit a report on the education and cultural activities done by the end of the program.
- All participants must submit a project to improve education practices, using their experience as inspiration. This project shall be submitted to the Consejo de Educación Secundaria thorugh inspectors, Plan Ceibal, or the Departamento de Segundas Lenguas y Lenguas Extranjeras, by 30 May 2020.
- Visit an education center in the United States and share teaching and management experiences with American teachers.
- Take part in a university seminar.
- Orientation program in Uruguay.
- Round-trip airline ticket.
- Housing with a host family, meals, books, cultural activities, local transportation.
The call is currently closed and will reopen in 2020.
- Dates and length: three weeks during February 2020.
Instructions to apply for the program:
The statement made on the position and personal information of the applicant have the value of an affidavit.
The first thing the applicant has to do is to select the kind of teacher they are:
- English teacher in public primary schools.
- Teachers of the Ceibal en Inglés program.
- Teachers of English in rural primary schools.
- Teachers of English in public secondary schools.
- Math teachers in public secondary schools.
- Science teachers (Physics, Chemistry, or Biology) in public secondary schools.
- Middle or high school principals.
- CFE English teachers.
- Teachers working on inclusion and diversity.
Once the form is completed, the applicant must click the Submit button. The form will be sent directly to Comisión Fulbright. The applicant will receive a message with an acknowledgement of receipt of the form.
If the applicant does not receive the confirmation, it means Comisión Fulbright has not received the form.
Do not forget to click the Submit button to the bottom of the page.
Note: the system allows for the applicant to start the form and save the data. Applicants will have 15 days to fill in and submit the form. After that time the saved data will be lost and the applicant will have to begin a new form.